Powered by Blogger.

PE Bakes: White Chocolate and Strawberry Cupcakes

By 11:35 AM

I'm a bit if a self proclaimed baker! So I thought I would try my hand at doing some lovely baking posts for you. The initial idea for these cupcakes came about when I was watching Anne Saccone Joly's video, where she made watermelon cupcakes and put powdered jelly in the mix. It had never occurred to me to do that and I'd always found strawberry flavouring quite strong, so I thought I would give it a go.

For about 12 cupcakes (I made 6 large and 12 mini), you will need:
100g Caster Sugar
100g Butter
2 eggs
1 teaspoon of Vanilla Extract
100g Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon of Baking Powder
1 Sachet of Powdered Jelly

For the Icing, you will need:
100g Icing Sugar
50g Butter
Milk
3 tablespoons of White Chocolate Powder
Strawberry Decorations

A basic sponge recipe uses the ratio of 50g of each ingredient to one egg. Some baking experts would suggest you weigh your eggs, but I'm a wing it kind of person!

Step 1 - Preheat you oven to Gas Mark 5/ 375F/ 190C (or if your oven is as rubbish as mine - highest possible!). Line you cupcake trays.

Step 2 - In a bowl, cream together your butter and sugar, until combined and fluffy.

Step 3 - Beat in your eggs and vanilla extract. You can leave out the vanilla if you want a stronger strawberry taste, but I find this gives a really nice strawberry and cream taste.

Step 4 - Add in your flour and baking powder and mix until well combined.

Step 5 - Next, add in your powdered jelly. This is all down to taste, so I added in half, before having a quick taste and then added in the rest. You may want to use more if you want a stronger strawberry taste. (Vegetarians be aware that powdered jelly has gelatine in. You could use a vegetarian approved alternative or strawberry flavouring.)

Step 6 - Divide you mixture evenly between your cases. Do not worry about the colour, as when they are cooked, you can't notice.

Step 7 - Cook for 15 minutes, or until golden brown (my oven never follows cooking times!). They should be firm to the touch.

Step 8 - While they are cooling, start your icing. In a bowl beat together the icing sugar and butter. Buttercream can take a day and an age to combine, so add teaspoons at a time of milk if it is not combining or is looking to thick. I prefer a thicker icing but some may like a more softer form, so make to your taste.

Step 9 - Next add in your white chocolate powder. I use the Whittards Luxury White Hot Chocolate Powder, but you could use any white hot chocolate. Alternatively, you could use melted white chocolate, there is a great recipe here for it.

Step 10 - Finally spread the icing on your cakes. You can use an icing bag if you wish, but I used my trusty spatula! I finished mine off with some strawberry rock candy decorations.

And there are your finished cupcakes. You get a lovely creamy taste with the white chocolate and then the nice fruity taste of the strawberries! These would be fab to enjoy during Wimbledon (June 23rd!).

I hope you enjoy these cupcakes and that you enjoyed the post too. If you would like more baking posts, you can let me know in comments or on twitter (@prettyedu88) and while your there, share your cupcakes with me using the hashtag #pebakes.

You Might Also Like

0 comments