Powered by Blogger.

25 Days of Xmas - Day 23 - Baking Gingerbread

By 1:36 PM , , ,

I am an avid Gingerbread baker and Christmas is the perfect time of the year to crack out the ginger, cookie cutters and icing and get making some festive biscuits. Last year, I attempted to make a Gingerbread house, the first being a success, the second being a massive flop - it tasted nice though even in it's demolished state. If I can find a picture, I'll pop it below.

This year I played it safe and stuck with biscuits. I have tried many recipes out over the year, but my go to recipe for a long while now has been one by Zoella. You can find the recipe here on YouTube. It's a really simple recipe. I didn't have any treacle, so I added and extra spoon of golden syrup and used soft dark brown sugar instead to give what treacle would (to be honest, I just didn't have light brown sugar!).

I raided all my cookie cutters and picked a selection of shapes to use. I'm really sad that I couldn't find my Christmas tree cutter, I have no idea where it went to.

I started off with some classic Gingerbread men. I have this really great set of cutters that I got for Christmas a few years back and they came from Accessorize of all places. It has 4 different sizes including a little mini one which I use for all the cuttings. If I am being truthful, the little ones don't make the icing stage!

I also made some star shaped ones too! I did a variety of sizes of these and think if you stacked these up you could make a star cookie Christmas tree.

And here they are iced! I used an icing pen from Asda, which wasn't the best because you have to squeeze it really hard to get the icing out and it doesn't flow very well, so this wasn't my best icing job! I also made some heart and cupcake shaped ones, and you might be able to spot a couple of Tardis's and weird Olaf shaped ones too!

What are your favourite things to bake at Christmas? Let me know in the comments or on twitter and share with me your gingerbread cookies!

You Might Also Like

0 comments