Powered by Blogger.

Eurovision Week - My Top 5 Eurovision Tracks

By 12:00 PM ,

Who doesn’t love Eurovision? Probably the people who are wondering what I am talking about! For those of you who don’t know of this grand tradition, to give it it’s full name, the Eurovision Song Contest is a yearly event where countries from across Europe (and since last year, Australia), take part in a song contest to see which country can come up with the best song. It has been going since 1956 and last year celebrated its 60th year. There have been many countries that have won over the year, but by far the most famous win came in 1974 when a little know band named ABBA won for Sweden with their song “Waterloo”.

I’ve have been brought up watching Eurovision, and whilst I am not as die hard as some fans, I actually really enjoy it. So to celebrate that, I am going to do a week-long series dedicated to Eurovision, with lots of ideas for you fans and hopefully new fan, to get ready for the big event this Saturday.

In today’s post, I am going to share with you my top 5 Eurovision songs! I hope you enjoy this and let me know in comments or on twitter what your favourite Eurovision entries have been!

ABBA “Waterloo” (Sweden 1974)
Being a massive fan of ABBA, I couldn’t help but put this song in my top 5 Eurovision songs. Winning for Sweden in 1974, ABBA’s career after that went worldwide, with their songs the inspiration for the musical Mamma Mia.

Loreen “Euphoria” (Sweden 2012)
There are not many songs that I actually buy from Eurovision nowadays, but Sweden’s winning entry in 2012 by the singer Loreen, is one song that I actually do own. I remember loving this song on the night and this song actually got to number 3 in the UK singles charts.

Katrina and the Waves “Love Shine a Light” (UK 1997)
The last time the UK ever won was in 1997, thanks to Katrina and the Waves, with the song Love Shine a Light. Worldwide, the band are more readily known for their track “Walking On Sunshine”.

Precious “Say It Again” (UK 1999)
I totally remember buying this track as a youngster! Whilst this song didn’t win for the UK, it did come a respectable 12th and went to number 6 in the UK charts.

Gina G “Ohh Ahh Just A Light Bit” (UK 1996)
Who doesn’t love a bit of Gina G. The UK were represented by the Australian singer in 1996 and came in at number 8. The song went to number 1 in the UK charts and Gina found some success after the show, with two more top ten singles, and a top 20 album (I’m pretty sure I bought the singles too!).

You Might Also Like

0 comments