Powered by Blogger.

Pamper Guide: DIY Manicure

By 3:04 PM , , , ,

Years ago, when I was at Uni and use to have a fair few days off a week, I use to love to dedicate time to a pamper afternoon. Now, I can't even remember the last time I did that. I use to love doing my nails, giving my feet some care and showing my face some well deserve time and attention. So as a new series on my blog, I am going to show you how to do your very own diy pamper sessions at home. Having never had it done professionally, I can't say it is exactly the same, but these are tried and tested methods I've used, that are really simple and don't cost the earth as you'll more than likely have all the supplies at home. So give yourself a little pamper love and let's start with an at home DIY manicure.

You will need:

  • Nail Polish Remover
  • Cotton Wool Balls
  • Nail File
  • Nail Clippers
  • Body Wash or Bubble Bath
  • A bowl of warm water
  • Orange Stick or Cuticle Pusher
  • Cuticle Remover (optional)
  • Nail Polish Base / Top Coat
  • Nail Polish of choice
  • Moisturising Cream
  • Cuticle Oil

Step 1: Remove any old nail polish till your left with clean nails. If you have been wearing a dark colour, particularly blues, and your nails are stained, scrub yours nails with a little toothpaste. It is a great trick and really works at getting rid of those stains.

Step 2: Trim and file your nails till you have the desired length and shape. They don't have to be perfect as long as they are all an even length and the same sort of shape. I usually go for curved in the middle and straight at the edges, following my natural nail shape. (BTW I love these oil slick looking nail trimmers from Primark!)

Step 3: Soak your hands in warm water for a couple of minutes. I added a little bubble bath to mine to give it a nice scent and make it a little bubbly. I used the I Love range in the scent Blueberry and Smoothie.

Step 4: Once your hands are nice and soft, use your orange stick to push back your cuticles. If they are looking a little messy, you may need to apply a little cuticle remover. You usually leave this on for 2 minutes before removing, but check the instructions on your packet. Dry off your hands once finished.

Step 5: Apply a coat of clear varnish and allow to dry.

Step 6: Apply your colour of choice for as many coats needed, before applying a top coat. I went for Barry M's Speedy Quick Dry Nail Paint in Eat My Dust. I like these because they do dry quickly and the brush is the perfect shape for my nails.

Step 7: Once your nails are completely dry, apply some cuticle oil around the nails (I love OPI Avoplex), and apply a generous layer of moisturiser (I used the First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair Cream). I like to do this step last rather than after my nails have done soaking, as polish applies better to nails free of any cream and oil.


And that's it! It is so simple to do and whilst your nails will look fabulous, the pampering will also make you feel fabulous as well. I hope you have enjoyed this first pamper guide and look out for more soon!

You Might Also Like

0 comments